Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Weekend Getaway

Hi folks!

Normally I talk about what is going on in my craft studio but have decided to change things up a bit today.  This last weekend the hubby and I went on our very first weekend Get-Away without our children..gasp!  Yes!  You heard it correctly, WITHOUT our kiddos..much to their dismay we decided that we would love to spend time with each other.

What to do?  Where to go?  Did we want to be somewhere at a specific time?  We both decided that we would like to do something outdoors with no agenda but to have fun and enjoy ourselves.

After a bit of research we decided to go to Mesa Verde.  In all of my years as a Coloradoan I have never researched Mesa Verde but had heard about it.  Wow!  All I can say is wow!  Saturday morning we were up and at 'em early.  We left our house at 7 a.m.  That is awful early but somehow when you know you are going on an adventure it is much easier to get up and going.

While we were on our 4 hour road trip we stopped along the way to grab a snack and stretch.  I had forgotten how completely fascinating traveling is without children.  We love our kiddos but only being in charge of oneself is so liberating. 

We drove over and through Wolf Creek Pass.  Can I just say, this is not a pass for wimps!  The turns and bends are close and narrow.  At a whopping 10,857 Feet you can't help but feel like you are on top of the world. 


The trees in all of their fall glory were breathtaking and oh so delightful!  After a rest stop to catch our breath and wait for the car sickness to subside we trekked onward. Our next stop was the Mesa Verde Visitor Center.  With our map in hand we continued up the narrow windy road to the Cliff Dwellings. 

Our first hike/walk we went on was the "The Spruce Tree House Trail".  Oh the anticipation!  We stopped to see these amazing cliff dwellings and just breathe in their beauty!  
We continued on our walk across this darling bridge..uphill and around the bend.
  
Suddenly we were there!  Right here on this very sacred land.  We were able to walk around the front of the dwellings and even climbed the ladder down to one of the rooms.  Can you imagine?  The natives lived in these stunning rooms.  They not only lived off the land but created their home here in this very spot!  



After taking out time taking in the view we decided to hike back up the trail.  While we were on top of the hill the hubby decided to walk near the edge..I get a bit woozy close to the edge..I was happy snapping pictures from afar.   



We took a few "Selfies" not sure if you all know this about me..but I really really truly do not like taking pictures of myself..I always seem to be looking the wrong way.

We stopped in to visit the museum before calling it a day.  What fun!  We checked into the Fair View Lodge nearby.  The views from our little room were AMAZING!
What a delightful way to unwind after a busy day.  Now now..I like to think of myself as non dependent on technology..but I must say our room did not have a t.v. nor wi-fi..my first thought was "what are we going to do?"  After a heartbeat, I had the perfect answer!  Read and crochet!  I tell ya, life couldn't get better.

The most delicious dinner concluded our evening out and about.  The next day we stopped for a quick breakfast and then it was back to the trails.  We visited a few more sites and then it was time to head home.  All in all, it was a much needed getaway.

Back to work I go!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment